Cefpodoxime is indicated in the following disease:
- Lower respiratory tract infection: Acute community acquired pneumonia, Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis;
- Upper respiratory tract infection: Acute otitis media, Acute maxillary sinusitis, Pharyngitis, Tonsillitis
- Sexually transmitted diseases: Acute uncomplicated urethral & cervical gonorrhoea.
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: Cystitis, Pyuria
- Skin & soft tissue infections: Furuncle, Cellulitis, Subcutaneous abscess, Infectious atheoma, Periproctal abscess.
Cefpodoxime capsules and oral suspension are indicated for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms in the conditions listed below.
The recommended doses, duration of treatment, applicable patient population are as below:
Adults (Including age 13 years & older):
- Acute community-acquired pneumonia: 200 mg 12 hourly for 14 days
- Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis: 200 mg 12 hourly for 10 days
- Uncomplicated gonorrhea (men/women): Single dose 200 mg
- Rectal gonococcal infection in women: Single dose 200 mg
- Skin & Soft tissue infection: 200 mg 12 hourly
- Pharyngitis and/or tonsillitis: 100 mg 12 hourly for 5 to 10 days
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: 100 mg 12 hourly for 7 days
- Acute maxillary sinusitis: 200 mg 12 hourly for 10 days
- 15 days to 6 months: 4 mg/kg every 12 hours
- 6 months to 2 years: 40 mg every 12 hours
- 3 to 8 years: 80 mg every 12 hours
- Over 9 years: 100 mg every 12 hours
may be given without regard to food.
Cefpodoxime is contraindicated in patients with known allergy to the cephalosporin class of antibiotics.
Renal Impairment: Patients with renal dysfunction: For patients with severe renal impairment (creatinine clearance <30 ml/min) the dosing intervals should be increased to 24 hourly.
Hepatic Impairment: The dosage does not require modification in cases of hepatic impairment.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Management: Haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis may be useful in the event of a serious toxic reaction particularly if renal function is compromised.
Use in Special Population
Cefpodoxime powder for suspension: Shake the bottle well before adding water. Then add 30 ml of boiled and cooled water to make 50 ml suspension. Continue shaking the bottle until the powder is mixed properly.
Cefpodoxime paediatric drops: Shake the bottle well before adding water. Then add 10 ml of boiled and cooled water to make 15 ml suspension. Continue shaking the bottle until the powder is mixed properly.
Capsule: Store below 30° C, protected from light and moisture.
Powder for suspension: Store below 25° C, protected from light and moisture.
After reconstitution: The suspension can be used within 7 days if be kept at room temperature and within 14 days if be kept in refrigerator (2° to 8° C). Always keep the bottle tightly closed.